Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Frog wrote:

Hello Paul,

It was good to hear from you again (you have helped me many many
times in the past).

Glad to be of service.

You may want to read my response to WaltS48 in this thread before
reading this response.

There seems to be something strange about the date/time stamps -- your
most recent messages appear to be older than mine, even though they were
not visible when I composed mine.

I did state in my message to WaltS48 that line wrapping was working
just fine in this newsgroup.  Subsequent to that message, I decided
to see what preparing a normal (non newsgroup) message would do when
it was not responding to another incoming message...it does not wrap
in normal messages.  Well, as you can see, I still have my problem to
resolve. Thus, I'm now going to attempt to follow your
suggestion...provided I can follow the steps to make this happen.

The acid test would be if you sent yourself a message (from one account
to another) and checked whether it had applied in the message as
received. I just conducted such a test, using plain text.

On examining the source code of the incoming message at the receiving
account, I verified that the message was sent entirely in plain text,
with no corresponding HTML version (it was not a multipart message). The
receiving account's display setting was View | Message Body As |
Original HTML, but changing that to View | Message Body As | Plain Text
had no effect on the display.

The results:

1) Word wrapping was in effect during composition: even though the
display window was much wider than 72 characters, long paragraphs were
wrapped at 72 characters, and the remainder of the composition window
remained empty.

2) Word wrapping did /not/ apply to the message as received and
displayed (long lines extended to the full width of the display window).
However, reducing the window size did force the text to wrap within the
smaller display window.

3) Word wrapping /did/ apply to the source code of the message as
received (the source code did contain EOL marks that reduced all line
lengths to 72 or fewer characters).

Apparently, SM ignores EOL marks within paragraphs when it displays
incoming messages. I cannot vouch for how other email clients handle EOL
marks -- it's possible some of them may respect them and some may not.

I did send a SeaMonkey originated message to my secondary Hotmail address and the lines wrapped correctly.

Frog