Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Larry S. wrote:

<snip>

O.K., maybe we're on to something. However, there are a couple of
problems:
     -- the profile rtfmbobp, default no longer exists, as it was
deleted from profile manager.
     -- we can't even get to preference settings, in that SM never opens
to that point. The error message comes first.
Bummer!

Okay, stop! Just do this, step by step.

0) Close SeaMonkey...you will want to print this out or paste into a
temporary notepad window for reference

1) In Windows explorer go to
"C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\"

2) What is the *actual* profile folder name there if it is not
"rtfmbopb.default"? In fact whatever it just is make a copy of that
folder within
"C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\". Then
rename the copy to "linda.fixed". So now the profile you want total path
is:

  "C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\linda.fixed"

3) In that profile folder find and open in notepad "prefs.js"

4) Search for "mailnews.start_page.enabled" and edit the line to match
below:

user_pref("mailnews.start_page.enabled", false);

5) Save "prefs.js"

6) Go to "C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\" in Explorer

7) Rename "profiles.ini" to "profiles.ini.disabled"

8) Create a new "profiles.ini" and paste exactly below:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/linda.fixed

9) Save the file as "profiles.ini", in Windows you may have to have the
option to DISABLE "Hide extensions of known file type" to prevent ".txt"
from being added.

10) Drag an temporary shortcut to Seamonkey to your desktop

11) Right-click on shortcut and select properties and edit Target to add
" -P default" so it should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -P default

12) Launch SeaMonkey from that shortcut to test.

If all goes well and it should, you can remove all profile folders
EXCEPT:

"C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\linda.fixed"

Well? OP, did it fix your issue?

Analyzing further this "mess", it all started when we set up her "new" profile in her new computer, copying same from a backup copy. Two factors emerge. Part I:

The first thing that is apparent is that SM is installed and working, except that we get the error message "The file /C:/Users/Linda/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Profiles/rtfmbopb.default/bookmarks.html cannot be found." Seems that SM is trying to do what it is told, in three instructions:

(1)This is exactly the file that is listed in Browser Preferences in the box defining "Home". (2)The Browser preference also says to display the Home page when the browser opens, and (3)the Appearance preference says to open the Browser when SM starts. Thus, SM is told to try to open a file that does not exist.

Could we just change what's in the Home box to the file where her profile is located? (Note that the Home box entry starts with three diagonals (///), not the one in the error message. Do that also?)
Maybe that could make the error message go away?

Part II:

She would like SM open in her Bookmarks list (see error message as an example). Once we have "Home" properly defined, could we then have her Bookmarks copied into an HTML file? I believe the way to do this is with "about"config", and we've done it before, though not recently. (Should work, since her bookmarks are contained in her profile.)

Would greatly welcome your thoughts and advice on these two steps.

Larry S.