Well something is borked. Where did you get the package from? Is it really the x64 version. x86 is seamonkey-2.40.tar.bz2 and x64 is seamonkey-2.40.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

x64 is available here:

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.40/contrib/

FRG
John E wrote:
Thanks FRG.

It's X64.    The library is already installed

[quote] apt-get install libxcomposite1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libxcomposite1 is already the newest version.
libxcomposite1 set to manually installed. [/quote]

So still getting same error

-------
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 at 14:20:50 +0200, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
The error actually is:

 >> libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

x64 or x86 Seamonkey?

So if the library is not installed try:

apt-get install libxcomposite1
64-bit (installing the x86 version): apt-get install libxcomposite1:i386

and see if the error goes away.

FRG

John E wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 >    I'm running SM 2.33.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and trying to upgrade to
SM 2.40

 > When I reach Step 5 in
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/install-and-uninstall and try the
command ./seamonkey I get:

 > [quote]
 > XPCOMGlueLoad error for file
/home/sleepy/seamonkey2/seamonkey/libxul.so:
 > libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
 > Couldn't load XPCOM.
 > [/quote]
 >
 > I have to confess that (silly me) I originally installed my SM 2.33.1
from a non-standard source so this may be part of the problem.

 > I've tried Googling "XPCOMGlueLoad error" and seen plenty of
suggestions relating to Firefox and to other operating systems but am
having difficulty converting these into my own Ubuntu 14.04 and SM 2.40
situation.

 > Grateful any step-by-step suggestions to help me to upgrade and get
myself back on a straight and narrow track again.