rickman wrote on 07-06-17 15:10:
Ray_Net wrote on 6/7/2017 7:13 AM:
rickman wrote on 06-06-17 18:54:
MozUser wrote on 6/6/2017 12:12 PM:
All that jabber and I did not see where anyone could tell me the meaning of those icons. Are all of them defined someplace or are we just supposed to ignore their meaning ? I think not otherwise why would they bother to put
them up !

I am talking about the area where the unexpanded posts and expanded post trees are shown and only the icons that are in the column just to the left of the "Subject" column. That's the column that has an icon in the header,
under which there are only icons.

Here is a link to a screen capture of my SeaMonkey. Two message icons are circled. The top one indicates a message that has been downloaded before
the previous time of viewing this group. Obviously most of the icons
displayed look like this.  The bottom circled icon is on a message that
was recently downloaded and so is "new".  Once I leave the group and
return, this icon will turn into the other one.

Notice there is no difference in the icons for read vs. unread messages.
The bold type indicates unread messages.

http://arius.com/images/SeaMonkey_message_icons.png

I have an icon with a green bottom arrow when the post is not readed.
When readed this icon dissappear - but reappear without the green arrow when
i force the "not read" status.
That's an explanation after testing .. You can do the same and then write it
to your documentation text file.

If your message icon disappears when a message is read, then your system operates differently than mine. I see three icons on message subjects. When a post is "new" the icon includes the green arrow. When it is no longer new the arrow dissapears and the "balloon" is either light grey, or darker grey. Usually the balloon is light grey, but in some groups they are mostly dark grey. I had not noticed the difference in darkness until just now. It appears this is related to the "downloaded" status, but only in some groups. There are a few posters in some groups where their posts are marked as "read" by filters without being downloaded. Their posts are light grey as are unread posts. Posts that have been downloaded when read have a dark grey icon. In other groups all icons are light grey and do not change when read or downloaded.

I have also seen one icon which appeared to have a key or something similar over top of the the balloon icon. But that group had a number of "expired" posts (some as recent as a few weeks ago) and when I "repaired" the folder all but a handful were removed, including the post with this odd icon.

Yes, I would say an icon glossary is in order. I am not at all sure what most of these message icons mean. At this point I'm not even sure SeaMonkey is working correctly on my computer.

Perhaps you have installed a "Theme and skin" ... Mine is the default that come with my first installation of SM.