Daniel wrote:

In one (and only one) of my UseNet groups, rec.arts.drwho, the
threading of all the old threads has become messed up, in that, when
I select a message, from an old thread, the message and header
displayed in the Message Pane can be something totally different to
that shown in the Threads Pane.

Selecting the next message in the Threads Pane can result in a
message from a totally different thread being displayed .... even a
message from the last displayed Thread being displayed.

As I've got the number of Unread messages in the News Group down to
about 39,000 unread out of a total 177,000 posts, so I'm not wanting
to delete the index file and "start" anew, so has anybody got any
suggestions how I might reconstruct that index file without having
to start from scratch, 177,000 unread out of 177,000??

If the unread count were something more reasonable than 39,000, I'd suggest this, which has worked for me:

1) Select all, mark as read.

2) Change view settings to all messages, all threads, unthreaded, sorted by date.

3) Scroll to the new end of the list, select the last day (or whatever time corresponds to the period since you last read messages). Mark those as unread.

4) Restore view settings to all messages, threads with unread, threaded, sorted by date.

But with 39,000 unread messages, it seems unmanageable, at least for this speed reader. ;-)

Any chance you can restore an older version -- say, last week's -- of the index file from backup?

Paul B. Gallagher