Mason83 wrote:
On 14/10/2017 20:19, Larry S. wrote:
Mason83 wrote:
On 13/10/2017 21:00, Larry S. wrote:
My profile contains 14 versions of the file "sessionstore", numbered 1
thru 14, plus two called sessionstore.json and sessionstore.bak.

Do I need all these? Any? Can I delete some? All? What are they?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/about-sessionstore/

Quoting that page:
Firefox writes the sessionstore.js file to disk every 15 seconds, to
be able to restore tabs after a crash or restart. Certain sites can
make the sessionstore.js file grow very large leading to poor
performance, this addon can help identify which tabs store unusually
large amounts of data (form data, DOM sessionStorage, or many
subframes/history states).

See also:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1057949

Regards.

Thank you, Mason, for your insights. Your reply helps me understand the
purpose of the file, but it doesn't fully address my concerns. I don't
seem to have a "Sessionstore.js" as your reference discussed (but do
have a json in many versions).

Yes, the format of the file was changed at some point.
Hence .js => .json

In addition to the json and bak (alone) versions, I have fourteen json
versions numbered 1 through 14, with dates stretching back almost six
years. It's those I still wonder about.

Here's my suggestion.

Close SM. Move all the sessionstore files to a temp directory
somewhere out of the way. Start SM. Confirm everything is
working as usual. You can keep the backups around for a few
days, then you can delete them.

Regards.

Masaon . . .

Followed your suggestion. There's been no visible effect so far, so I've deleted the file to which I moved them.

Thank you!
Larry S.