Ken Rudolph wrote:
Another problem I've just discovered is that I seem to have two versions of SM on this computer.  One is in "Program Files" which is SeaMonkey 2.49.1.  When I open this the release notes say in big red letters: "Automatic upgrades from previous versions are, for most configurations, disabled for this release. Please download the full installer from the downloads section and install SeaMonkey 2.49.1 manually over the previous version."

The other is in "Program Files (x86)" which loads SM 2.46.  Both seem to use the same profile.  Also, both do not play Netflix videos even after clearing cache and cookies.

That may or may not be the cause of this particular problem, but it's certainly not going to help and will likely cause confusion in future if nothing else. It looks like you had a 32-bit build of SeaMonkey 2.46 and have installed a 64-bit build of 2.49.1. I don't think there are official 64-bit Windows builds of SeaMonkey, so that's presumably one of the 3rd-party builds which were going around for a while.

At this point, the safest thing to do is probably:
* Make a backup of your profile (you can find out where it is from Help > Troubleshooting Information where "Profile Folder" is about half way down the first table). You can just copy the entire directory to somewhere outside the profiles folder, ideally to a removable disk (e.g. a USB stick).
* Download SeaMonkey 2.49.1 from <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/>.
* Make sure you've got some way of posting here without using SeaMonkey, just in case you have problems during the uninstall/install.
* Uninstall both versions of SeaMonkey.
- You might find that only one version appears in Windows' "Programs and Features" control panel, in which case it should be possible to start the installer for the other version by running <C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\uninstall\helper.exe> or the equivalent under <Program Files (x86)>. - Post back if you have problems uninstalling either version. I'm not sure whether having two versions installed might break the uninstall process for one or the other.
* Install the 2.49.1 version downloaded above.

The newly installed version should continue using the same profile. However, there could be a problem with that profile, particularly if you've ever started 2.46 after that profile had been used with 2.49.1. Using an older version of SeaMonkey with a profile after that profile has been used with a newer version can corrupt parts of the profile depending what changed between those versions, so going back in versions is best avoided. You may not have have intentionally done that in this case, but might have accidentally started 2.46 at some point.

So, if there are still problems after uninstalling the old versions and reinstalling the latest, a couple of things to try to help narrow down the problem: * Start SeaMonkey in Safe Mode as others have suggested; if you still don't have the start menu entry, you also start SeaMonkey normally and then go to Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled * Create a new profile and try using that: Tools > Switch Profile > Manage Profiles > Create Profile. Your old profile will still be there (unless you choose to delete it) and you can switch back to it later via Tools > Switch Profile.

If a new profile fixes the problem, where to go from there depends whether there's any data you need to keep from the old profile.

For what it's worth, the link you originally posted works for me with:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1

Extensions installed are:
* ChatZilla
* DOM Inspector
* gContactSync
* Lightning
* Live HTTP headers
* NoScript
Since I use NoScript, that has to be set to not block various NetFlix scripts. Apart from that I don't expect any of those extensions to have any effect.

Enabled plugins are:
* VLC Web Plugin
* Adobe Acrobat
* Java(TM) Playform SE 8
I don't have the Silverlight plugin, but the video worked without it. It's possible that having VLC installed has some effect on being able to play the video.

SeaMonkey supports HTML5; there's no need for an extension or plugin for that.

--
Mark.