Ken Rudolph wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Ken Rudolph wrote:

No matter how I set the UA, I can't run a Netflix movie or show.  I
get sent to the same page demanding HTML5 or Silverlight support.
I've checked three other browsers:  Firefox, Chrome, and Edge and all
of them play Netflix sources with no problems.  Only SeaMonkey has
this problem. So it isn't just clicking on a link from e-mail...it's
Netflix site period.  Is there any add-on or plug-in for HTML5 that I
need to have? Other responders seem to not have this problem.  I'm
just not sure what's wrong with my version of 2.49.1  (Build
identifier:  20170619162041)

OK, try this:

1) Close all browser windows except a blank one.

2) Clear cache and cookies (options at Edit | Preferences | Privacy & Security | Private Data).

3) Load a Netflix page and see if you can play it.

If the answer's yes, something was bad in your cache or cookies and it's gone now. Problem solved.

If the answer's no, then try this:

4) Restart SeaMonkey in Safe Mode, disabling all add-ons. If that solves it, one of your add-ons is the guilty party. (If that doesn't solve it, report back.)

5) Assuming Safe Mode solved the problem, restart SeaMonkey in Safe Mode again, disabling all but two add-ons. If the problem reappears, one of those two is guilty. Otherwise, repeat this step with two more. If the problem reappears, one of those two is guilty. Otherwise, repeat this step with two more. ... When you come to the point where you have two suspects, restart SeaMonkey in Safe Mode, enabling only one of those two suspects. That will tell you which is guilty.

I'm unable to make any of this work, other than clearing cache and cookies (which didn't solve the Netflix problem).  Then, I don't know how to open and run SM in safe mode to begin with (I'm assuming you don't mean open Windows 10 in safe mode, which I could do by shift+restart...but would rather not.)

Another problem I've just discovered is that I seem to have two versions of SM on this computer.  One is in "Program Files" which is SeaMonkey 2.49.1.  When I open this the release notes say in big red letters: "Automatic upgrades from previous versions are, for most configurations, disabled for this release. Please download the full installer from the downloads section and install SeaMonkey 2.49.1 manually over the previous version."

The other is in "Program Files (x86)" which loads SM 2.46.  Both seem to use the same profile.  Also, both do not play Netflix videos even after clearing cache and cookies.

Now that I think about it, for a while now I've had other video problems in SM, and have gotten used to saving the link, opening Chrome, and watching them there.

At this point, I think that I'm too confused to try to solve the Netflix  problem.  The version of SM 2.49.1 that I have, which opens when I click on the icon on my desktop, is working fine for everything else. And I'm not sure I want to screw around with downloading the full installer again and manually re-installing over the previous version. I'm not even sure which version to manually install over.

Without modification standard UA

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1

gets me nowhere.
"Microsoft Silverlight is required to play this title.
Install the Microsoft Silverlight Plug-in."

But I have Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.50907.0

I have to add:

general.useragent.override.netflix.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

With override it plays without any issue.

--
Take care,

Jonathan