Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Because Windows defaults to using *localtime* for the system's realtime clock and Linux uses UTC. Getting Windows to use UTC is a bit of a pain, so it is much easier to adjust Linux.

Not much of a pain here on Windows 7. Right-click the clock at lower right corner of the screen, choose "Adjust date/time," click "change time zone," pull down "(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time" from the list, OK out and you're done. Very straightforward. You could go the long way through Control Panel if you wanted, but why bother?

BTW, in my experience Windows has usually defaulted to US Pacific Time out of the box (I guess 'cause that's where M$ lives), so I've had to change the time zone whenever I bought a new machine, but one it's done and daylight saving time is enabled, I never have to think about it again.

That just sets the display of the clock in Windows not when referencing the clock set in CMOS. Windows assumes motherboard has *localtime* not UTC so if your are not online yet the clock retrieved from CMOS will not show the correct timezone...

To use UTC in CMOS and show local time zone in OS in Windows uses a registry edit, see:

<https://superuser.com/questions/975717/does-windows-10-support-utc-as-bios-time>

--
Take care,

Jonathan