On 3/12/2018 12:41 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>>>
>>> WHY can't I stop any web page at any time ?
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> I have "NoScript" running (I think!) but as to what choices to toggle in
>> the program menu - they are ALL JARGON which I do not understand !
>> I don't even know if it actually IS doing anything...
>

> My experience with NoScript is that it blacklists everything by default,
> and that you generally have to whitelist (temporarily or permanently),
> individual scripting hosts.
>
> At first level of user interface, the default handling is to put a small
> icon in the toolbar at the very bottom of a Seamonkey window. In my
> display, that's between the lock icon that shows certificate
> information, and the icon shown by AdBlock Plus.  In my own
> implementation, I also tweak my Navigation toolbar at the top of the
> display. If I right-click on that toolbar, and select "customize", that
> allows me to drag NoScript buttons into the toolbar.  The buttons for
> Temporarily All Scripts in this Page, and Revoke Temporary Permissions
> should be self-explanatory.  If you use the NoScript button, that's the
> same thing as you get with the icon at the bottom of the page.
>
> If you dig further into the options settings, there's stuff that's a lot
> more cryptic, and I don't understand a lot of them myself, especially in
> the Advanced tab -- a lot of that assumes knowledge of web page design.
> For most of what you want, the settings would be in the General and
> Whitelist tabs.  For most of the stuff in the other tabs, default
> settings should be adequate, unless you know you have specific reason to
> change something.
>
> NoScript has a lot of power, but it takes some tinkering with to get it
> tuned for what you want, especially in handling whitelisting or marking
> specific scripting hosts as permanently untrusted.
>
> For me, I'm generally content to leave nearly everything blacklisted, as
> a default, and then temporarily whitelisting, when needed. But even that
> takes a bit of tinkering.  There's certainly sites that I trust (e.g,
> scripting coming from the domain name itself), and I trust certain
> scripting engines.  Scripting from content mirrors (such as cloudfront),
> or Content Delivery Networks (with CDN) are generally candidates for
> whitelisting. On the other hand, stuff from advertising networks (many,
> but not all may have "ad" in the name, such as adsonar) are worth blocking.
>
> Depending on your browsing habits, some scripting hosts deliver both
> stuff you want to see and stuff you want to block, and sometimes you
> have to choose to accept the garbage, for stuff that you want.  This is
> especially true with some sites that use the same scripting host to
> deliver auto-play media content, photos, and text content.  I've also
> found that with some sites, it takes multiple runs of "Temporarily allow
> all on this page". Some scripting hosts may not try to deliver stuff
> [...]

There are actually two PrefBar options for stopping JavaScript.  Both
are in the vanilla PrefBar.

*  "Javascript (Tab)" works on the current tab or window.  For this one,
you have to move it from Available Items to Enabled Items.

*  "JavaScript" works on any subsequently launched tab or window but not
on the current one.  This one should already be in Enabled Items.

When I set these up, I called the first one "Local JavaScript" and the
second one "Global JavaScript".

NOTE WELL:  All this becomes defunct when SeaMonkey transitions to
Webextensions.  :(

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.