On 3/31/2018 11:23 AM, EE wrote:
> cmcadams wrote:
>> Trying a user.js didn't work.
>>
>> prefs.js didn't wish to be changed...tried both Windows 7 Notepad and
>> DOS Edit, but evidently didn't know the right save options, because
>> after running SM the new entry disappeared. Rejected by SM, I suppose.
>
> If an entry into user.js is not recognized by SeaMonkey as being valid,
> it will not appear in about:config.  This includes errors in syntax in
> the setting, and also settings that are simply not recognized.  The
> format for entries in user.js is the same as that for prefs.js.

To check whether SeaMonkey loaded all of user.js into prefs.js
successfully, insert
        user_pref("00_user.js.loaded", "user.js load failed");
as the very first line of user.js and
        user_pref("00_user.js.loaded", "yes");
as the very last line of user.js, all with SeaMonkey not running.  Note
that the semicolon (;) is required.

Then, launch SeaMonkey and enter about:config in the address area (URI
bar).  You should see
        00_user.js.loaded   user set  string  yes
if the entire user.js file was okay.  If there was a problem, you will
instead see
        00_user.js.loaded   user set  string  user.js load failed

This also works with Thunderbird and should work (but I have not tested
it) with Firefox.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.