Sun, 6 May 2018 14:31:34 -0400, _Paul B. Gallagher_:
Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

It depends on how the client handles it, and Ray is not correct for SeaMonkey at least.  If you View -> Message Body As -> Plain Text on an HTML message with an embedded image – the image will then appear as an attachment.

Not on my machine.

I tested with several HTML messages containing embedded images, which were originally displayed as View | Message Body As | Original HTML, and switched them to View | Message Body As | Plain Text. The images disappeared, of course, but no "attachment" appeared in the list; in fact, no attachment list was shown in the message header area because there were no attachments.

So the first time I've composed an HTML message and inserted an image it retained the file name information so it appears as attachment when viewed as plain text. Next I've used Edit As New... and the file name information was lost, and image is no longer shown as attachment even when message viewed as plain text.

See my other reply to the OP for an example where an image may not show as attachment.

Agreed.

--
Stanimir