On 6/9/18, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:
> On 06/09/2018 09:29 AM, Steve Dunn wrote:
>> On 2018-06-08 15:02, Andy K wrote:
>>> June 30, 2018 is the deadline for disabling SSL/early TLS and
>>> implementing a more secure encryption protocol – TLS 1.1 or higher
>>> (TLS v1.2 is strongly encouraged) in order to meet the PCI Data
>>> Security Standard (PCI DSS) for safeguarding payment data.
>> [...]
>>> In about:config, set security.tls.version.min to 2 to prevent
>>> protocols lower than TLS 1.1 from being used.
>>
>>      This is fine if you only use the browser to access sites that are
>> compliant with payment industry standards.  But most people use browsers
>> for more than just online banking etc., and some of those sites may not
>> support newer TLS versions.
>
> The vast majority of my transaction will be with my bank.
> Is it reasonable to presume they will use the later standard?

Don't guess, see how well your bank does:
  https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/index.html

>>  So just remember that after making this
>> change, you will probably break your browser's ability to access some
>> sites;
>
> For the odd site that can use only the older standard, will I get an
> informative error message?

My recollection is no, you get something not terribly informative.
(I allowed SSLv3 for ages until archive.org finally upgraded)

I've got security.tls.version.min set to 3 and haven't found a site
yet that fails - anyone know of a site that does TLS 1.1 but not TLS
1.2?

>> you'll either need to keep switching your TLS minimum version
>> back and forth, or use one browser for online banking etc. and a
>> different browser for other activities.
>
> Will having distinct profiles address the issue adequately.
> I currently use profiles that do/don't enable JavaScript and/or cookies
> for similar purpose.
> [I've a *NEGATIVE* view of both ;]

Yes, that should work.

Lee