On 9/2/2018 11:51 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>Do what you must but I would switch probably to Chromium then.

Part of why I am still on Mozilla products is I don't trust Google/Chromium to not be harvesting my online activity to use to create a profile of me and sell that information. While I realize it is a mostly futile effort these days I do try to protect my privacy as best as realistic. Google doesn't seem safe.

I am told there is a built without all the google data mining and privacy invasion stuff but after an hour of searching I couldn't find a Windows executable version. Any ideas where to get working builds without the google privacy invasion components?

uBlock is really the better product nowadays.

> (which I only use for the increasing number of websites that won't work in SM)

I don't see many breakages which are real. Most can be fixed with setting the user agent. With most web sites still supporting IE 8 only a few really break. Most are google ones and they do it in for Fx too.

> I wonder how soon we will realistically see a Seamonky build with the Firefox 60 ESR or newer code.  I really don't want to move away from SM, but the lack

Maybe 6 months to a year. Firefox has problems of its own and becomes a permanent construction camp so anything after 2.57 is off for now. Do what you must but I would switch probably to Chromium then. The Fx ui degrades with every release now so you can just use the original which imho already looks cleaner than Fx.

Locally compiled 2.53 and 2.49.5 both work a champ for me so I don't have any need to switch now. Newer web features will probably become a problem in a year or two but seriously I don't want things like service workers and wasm anyway. I really doubt this will do security any good.

FRG

Hawker wrote:
Thank you both for the clear explanation.

Sounds like I'm stuck where I am.  A few of my ABP filters are now saying "this filter subscriptions requires a newer ABP version...." This is going to be a security risk soon I assume as I fund ABP does a better job keeping add based virus out than my AV products.

Alas your comment "Most are a joke compared to their former xul based ones." Is sadly true. Some of the extensions I see in my Firefox install (which I only use for the increasing number of websites that won't work in SM) have way more limited UIs than the XUL version. I'm hoping with time they can reach the functionality of the old versions. Is there something about how they work that means they never will? And a few of my favorite extensions have not been ported.

I wonder how soon we will realistically see a Seamonky build with the Firefox 60 ESR or newer code.  I really don't want to move away from SM, but the lack of developers to keep the code current is putting the handwriting clearly on the wall for SM's demise.