David H. Durgee wrote:
Will Farris wrote:

I've downloaded the version 2.49.4 tar.bz2 file but I can't install it. I've tried Adam's suggestions from the following link and put a cd Downloads command into terminal but it didn't work.

I am running Linux Mint here which is based on Ubuntu.  I use Ubuntuzilla to install and upgrade SeaMonkey.  I would suggest you consider doing so as well.  All you need do is add their repository as a PPA to your list and refresh to be able to download and install.

I concur on using the PPA from Ubuntuzilla, as I have a strong preference for using packages as much as possible.

Although there may be good reason for downloading a source archive and compiling your own code, most users really don't need to do that. And to some degree, I've found that a preference for manual download and install of packages (i.e., .rpm or .deb) is much more common from people who have come to Linux after being long-term Windows or Mac users, where that approach is normal.

In a Linux environment, as long as you have good reason to believe that the repositories are trustworthy, and IMO, it's generally best to get your packages from repositories through your package manager. That ensures that all the dependencies are resolved correctly, and when updates are released, it's a routine process to get them installed to your computer.

Smith