flyguy wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 2/19/2019 6:47 PM:
flyguy wrote:

Seamonkey 2.49.4 (Win 10 OS) CPU usage goes from about 5% to 65% after I load this cartoon website:

https://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/

Using Chrome, the same web site causes only a 5% rise in CPU usage. Every thing slows down, the fan comes on loudly - What the heck is going on with Seamonkey, and can it fixed?

On my machine I started at 5-7%, then loaded the page, and it mostly stayed there, with occasional spikes to 30% at 30- to 60-second intervals. After a couple of minutes, it settled to 5-7% and stayed there.

I suspect some ad-serving routine, which is blocked by my ad blocker. Do you use one?

Yes, I do, and just before I read your post, I tried it with Adblocker enabled, and the CPU usage hardly changed after the page loading finished. That's the first time I've seen that interaction! Any idea why that would happen?

Also odd to me: I don't have an ad blocker on Chrome, yet it wasn't affected - CPU usage went up only a bit.

Well, I don't have an adblocker on this Linux system and I saw the CPU spike effect as well. There was an ad/video for LG running and that will have been the cause.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/