On 7/23/2019 12:55 AM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

I'm surprised. I remember when Win8 came out it was widely panned. My impression was that M$ was alternating between serious systems that power users like me appreciated (Win2000 Pro, WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro) and playware that held dabblers' hands every step of the way (WinMe, Vista); Win8 fit the latter description. Then when Win10 came out, even with the various issues, I had the impression it was the pro type (this from someone who wasn't shopping, so wasn't reading closely). And of course as usual I waited for the beta testers ("early adopters") to shake out the bugs before trying it. :-)

So in your opinion they're still trying to fix Win10?

WinME was the successor to Win95 and Win98, it was known right from the start that it was the end of the line for that code base and the quality suffered accordingly. Windows NT 4 begat Win2000, and then WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8(.1) and Win10.  When Microsoft skipped "Windows 9" and went straight to 10, my initial feeling was that they were skipping the next "decent version". That turned out not to be the reason for the jump, programmers had been testing for the string "Windows 9" to detect Win95 and Win98 hosts.

They are not "still trying to fix" Win10, they bring out a new feature update every 6 months and this tight schedule means some serious bugs get missed.  The new beta testers are those who apply those feature updates when they come out rather than waiting a few months.

Finally, worrying about compatability between Seamonkey and Windows 10 does not really make sense - Windows 10 has been out for a few years now and a large proportion of the Seamonkey users are exposed to it.

Well thankfully they put to rest with 1903 the 6 months new windows 10 cadence! It's going to be once a year going forward.