On 2/25/2020 2:27 PM, EE wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> I believe the preference variable is
>>      media.autoplay.enabled
>> If false, HTML5 media is disabled.  If true, HTML5 media is enabled.
>>
>> At least, this is how I control HTML5 media via PrefBar.  It does seem
>> to work.
>
> That is not strictly true.  HTML5 autoplay is disabled.  There should still
> be
> a play button you can click to get it to play, in most cases.  There are a
> few
> sites where you need autoplay enabled to get the video to play even after you
> click the play button, but I have an extension that gives me a button to
> toggle the setting.

By default, I have media.autoplay.enabled set to false.  When there is a
video I want to play, I use PrefBar to change it to true (selecting a
checkbox on the PrefBar tool bar).  I then reload the Web page, and the
video plays.

With media.autoplay.enabled set to false, I just now loaded a YouTube
Web page with Bizet's L'Arlésienne Suites No. 1 & No. 2.  There was no
button to start the video.  I then changed media.autoplay.enabled to
true, but there still was no way to play the video.  The video started
after I reloaded the Web page; at that point, buttons did appear.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods.  Real
meat is natural.  Beyond Meat is definitely not.  No,
I do NOT own a cattle ranch, a butcher shop, or any
other business doing commerce in meat.