Hi, David E. Ross! Thanks for writing, on 27 Feb 20 02:00:

On 2/26/2020 9:32 AM, alexyu wrote:

David E. Ross wrote, on 25 Feb 20 19:48:

On 2/25/2020 2:27 PM, EE wrote:

David E. Ross wrote:

I believe the preference variable is
        media.autoplay.enabled
If false, HTML5 media is disabled.  If true, HTML5 media is enabled.

At least, this is how I control HTML5 media via PrefBar.  It does seem
to work.

That is not strictly true.  HTML5 autoplay is disabled.  There should still be
a play button you can click to get it to play, in most cases.  There are a few
sites where you need autoplay enabled to get the video to play even after you
click the play button, but I have an extension that gives me a button to
toggle the setting.

By default, I have media.autoplay.enabled set to false.  When there is a
video I want to play, I use PrefBar to change it to true (selecting a
checkbox on the PrefBar tool bar).  I then reload the Web page, and the
video plays.

How do you change "autoplay.enabled" (or not) in PrefBar?  I don't have
that option in my 'PrefBar Options'...  Is that one I didn't include at
the time of installation -- and how can I get in my PrefBar now?

It is a checkbox that I created and added to PrefBar.  Creating such
checkboxes is easy.

It's been a long time since I changed anything in my PrefBar, but I do know about its possibilities; by the way you described it, I didn't know if this was a 'PrefBar standard option' which I had neglected to add, or one added later (in this case, I now know, by yourself).

Thanks also for your generous offer:

If you want my checkbox, do the following:

1.  Go to <http://www.rossde.com/test/>.

2.  Right-click on HTML5_media.btn, select "Save Link Target As" from
the pull-down context menu, and indicate in the resulting window where
you want to download the file.

As I said, it's been years since I last customized PrefBar, so I didn't even remember where my 'PrefBar addons' were stored. Turns out I had a folder named "PrefBar Buttons"... with none for video, as was to be expected.

3.  Right-click on the PrefBar tool bar, and select "Customize PrefBar"
in the pull-down context menu.

4.  In the list of PrefBar objects on the right side of the PrefBar
window, under Enabled Items, right-click and select Import in the
pull-down context menu.

5.  In the resulting window, navigate to where you saved
HTML5_media.btn, select the file, and then select the Open button.

6.  The checkbox will have been added to the bottom of the Enabled Items
list as "HTML5 Media".  You can drag it up to another position, which
will determine where on the PrefBar toolbar it will appear.

With a checkmark in the checkbox, HTML5 media is enabled.  With no
checkmark, it is disabled.

After inporting the checkbox into PrefBar, you can deleted the
HTML5_media.btn file from where you downloaded it.  In two weeks, I will
remove the file from my Web site.

I've added your "HTML5_media.btn"; I suppose none of the other files in your "(http://www.rossde.com/)test" folder have anything to do with this, so I left them alone; thanks once more.

After a 'trip down memory lane', I remembered that I do have an installed extension for this, but it's been ages since I last saw it in use; it's "YouTube Flash Video Player" 54.0.1, from Baris Derin; It offers 2 options, "HTML5 Video Player" & "Flash Video Player", but I don't remember if there's some way to toggle them without opening the addon's Options, which makes it rather inconvenient (and is probably why I forgot about it); as far as I can recall, during a phase, some time ago, I did try both options and, not noticing any significant change, dropped the matter.

My "media.autoplay.enabled" Pref is set to 'false', but the addon option is set to "HTML5 Video Player", so I don't know what SM makes of that; possibly, the Pref has precedence, which might explain why I didn't notice any difference when switching the options...

I currently use the "Video Downloader Professional" 1.97.37.1 extension (for video downloads, natch, but it doesn't always work for YouTube); previously, I used "Video Downloader Helper", but some time ago switched to the current one. However, when it can't DL a video, good old "Clip Grab" usually saves the day.

--
Best,

s) alexyu   <ale...@postpro.net>