Daniel wrote:
Geoff Welsh wrote on 12/04/2020 4:53 AM:
Is general.useragent.extra.seamonkey no longer functional?

I had written (at some point);  Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/74.0

but when I check at- https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent

it shows me Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53.1 Lightning/5.8.1

Geoff, where did you get the preference "general.useragent.extra.seamonkey" from??

If you enter "about:config" in the browser address bar, and, then, after accepting the warning, if you enter "useragent" in the Search: bar, you should see all the preferences which include "useragent" in the preference.

On that screen, do you see listed a preference called "general.useragent.extra.seamonkey"?? I don't!!

If you do see that preference, in the column labelled "Status", does it say "default" or "user set"?? If the later, you (or someone at your computer) have set up a specific useragent to be displayed to a 'seamonkey'.

'www.whatis mybrowser.com' is not 'seamonkey' so your SeaMonkey is displaying its real useragent.

It is also possible that when you installed Lightning, it reset your general User Agent string to show SeaMonkey/2.53.1 and then added in the Lightning/5.8.1

I got the preference from this newsgroup many years ago. It's user added and set. It was to replace an old preference that the developers dropped around the time the "advertise Firefox compatibility" thing started.

I had been modifying it along the way. Up until this new (2.53) it was still fooling web-sites. Or at least it was still working the last time I checked. I used to be quite active in this group many years ago, but lost track at some point. I would switch it to whatever to try and get sites to display.

As to Lightning, I never added that myslef. That happened on it's own. If it is not stock in 2.53.1 then possibly during one of the betas I was running.(?) "They" went back and forth on Ligthning between bundled.

Anyway, my question stands, as to whether 2.53 versions no longer recognize the user added pref general.useragent.extra.seamonkey

I know there was a huge back-end re-write between 2.49 and now so it would make sense, just looking for input from somebody who knows.
GW