Ray_Net wrote:
As I understand it, now that you have it set to "general.useragent.override", ever site you visit will think you are using FF V78, not SM.

That's correct. It's a general setting that covers all of Seamonkey, including your email. Thus, in the message wrote, there is this header:

 Gecko/20100101 Firefox/74.0

Since I have the dispMUA extension installed, the message used to write this text, that's showing that you were using Firefox to compose your message. Since I know about spoofing, I know that's what you're doing, but there may be occasions when you send mail, it might cause an issue with showing the identity of a browser, rather than a legitimate mail client.

With that in mind, I tend to prefer doing more granular spoofing in places that need it rather than doing it globally. I have a strong liking for PrefBar, and I have nearly a dozen different UAs available for spoof. Besides getting past sites that don't behave correctly when they see a Seamonkey UA, I've found a couple other places where spoofing is really useful.

One is for software distributors that support multiple operating systems, where they use UA sniffing to determine what system you're running, and when you download, they'll give you the download that corresponds to your platform. For non-technical users, that's useful, in making sure that the correct download is delivered, but for me, I have an extensive collection of downloads that I use for support purposes. By using spoofing, I can tell a site that I'm running a Mac, and get a Mac download, even if I'm using Windows. I also find that spoofing is useful when testing my own web page, to make sure that the page handles different UAs correctly.

With PrefBar, I can do on-the-fly changes of what I'm showing to a site, and then switch back to the default Seamonkey UA when I no longer need spoofing.

As an example, I have added some new entries where I changed the string accordingly with host I reach; general.useragent.override.google.com -- string set to: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0

I've done precisely this with Google. That one clears the display quirk that's in Google's search bar. For some reason, Google doesn't like a Firefox UA that shows the name of Firefox-derived project. They want only stock Firefox. If I remember correctly, PaleMoon has the same issue as Seamonkey.

I also do spoofing with general.useragent.override for a couple of financial sites that were complaining about Firefox 52 when I was running Seamonkey 2.49.x. Since I visit those sites frequently enough, I don't want to bother with turning spoofing on and off in PrefBar, so it's worth it to me to do site-specific spoofs. Since I've moved to Seamonkey 2.53, I'm guessing that those sites are no longer complaining (at least for now), but since the spoofing that I was using is for the then-beta of 2.53.1 (which shows Firefox 60), I haven't bothered to update or remove. I'll probably want to update when 2.53.2 gets out the door.

Smith