On 4/30/2020 12:58 AM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
Frog wrote:

I have attempted to replace my Verizon email account with an AOL email account on SeaMonkey without success.  At the moment, I can only access web pages using SeaMonkey...my access to this support group is accessible only thru Thunderbird. I have tried every combination of settings that I have read about and nothing makes a connection to AOL via SeaMonkey.  Can someone point me or give me simple directions for how to access my AOL messages on SeaMonkey?

Would it be easier for me to abandon SeaMonkey and and move to have my AOL email delivered to Thunderbird?  If so, I will need simple-to- follow instructions as to how to make that happen.

My operating system is Windows 10 and my SeaMonkey version is version 2.53.1

Please help me with simple-to-follow instructions.

Frog

Lets fix the NG access first because its easiest to fix.
You last accessed this NG with SM on Apr 17.
What have you changed since then to not able to access this group?

Paul, thanks for your response to my message.

The problem started when suddenly I decided to visit this support group. I attempted to open this group and repeatedly received a small message to the effect that my request had timed out. Then, I noticed that I would receive this message without my checking my mail...it would pop up on the screen without any action being taken. I assumed that it was making normal checks for support group messages. Long story short, I found that my actions taken to move from Verizon to AOL must have not been correct...thus, I downloaded Thunderbird and Firefox and started using it for accessing this support group. I personally believe that Verizon suddenly did something that caused me to lose access to everything except visiting web pages. This caused me to start using AOL software (which I did install some two years ago when Verizon bought AOL). I did not like the AOL mail system as much as I liked having my mail on SeaMonkey (which continued to work until (I believe) Verizon suddenly cut my access to everything except visiting web pages. That forced me to use AOL for my mail.

That (I believe) was the cause of my many problems with SeaMonkey. I had earlier tried to establish an AOL account on SeaMonkey. I got on the internet looking for help...port numbers, server name, POP or IMAP, and on to many other things I needed to know in order to make an attempt to have an AOL account on SeaMonkey. I then decided to make an AOL account on SeaMonkey. Well, another long story, I made several attempts to make a workable account on SeaMonkey and was unsuccessful in all of my efforts.

I thought one of my major problems with the new account was my email address...I made a decision, when AOL came about, to continue to use my original Verizon email address in AOL. This fact caused me many periods of thought as to what should be in the account in order to make it work...and nothing I did was a success.

I noted during this problem that my old Verizon account was my Default account on SeaMonkey. I then decided to make AOL the default SeaMonkey account. This act resulted in my losing all of my saved Verizon emails. This action also had an effect on my AOL account...I lost all of my AOL saved messages and was no longer able to access my AOL mail. At this point, I once again reverted back to having my old Verizon account as my Default account...with the result of being able to access my AOL mail normally. I had a thought that my phone line is Verizon and somehow that was a part of my problem...but later I decided that a phone line is a phone line, and that wasn't a part of my problem.

I have read and printed items found on the internet that I thought would make my efforts a success. I was at this point that I realized that this old man (83) needed help with this problem. As noted in my messages to the support group, I am looking for simple-to-follow instructions as to how to achieve my goal.

At the moment, I have SeaMonkey on my system and it is only able to perform as a browser of web pages. I have Firefox and Thunderbird on my system that allows me to send this message and it performs as a browser. I have AOL on my system and it allows me to access my mail (and likely a number of other things that I haven't had time to explore). I have used SeaMonkey for years and Netscape before that (back to 95). I feel like I am at home when using SeaMonkey and that is why I wanted to use it for all of my internet activities...user group, mail, and browser.

Bottom line, I continue to receive time-out messages on SeaMonkey while attempting to visit this support group and when attempting take an action involving my normal mail...visiting web pages is the only SeaMonkey action that I can take without being confronted with the time-out message,.

Well Paul, that is the best description I can give you for situation. I will definitely attempt to respond to any specific question you might have...remembering that I am a user of a computer and not a computer technical person.

Frog