SeaMonkey can already perform the required tasks.
But it clashes with desired workflow.

I make extensive use of custom tags <about 2 dozen defined>.
The two most used tags are for:
  1. color coding the subject line of messages I wrote.
  2. a general tag for things I find to be of long-term interest.
Under "View:" my standard is to display all subject lines:
  associated with the second tag above
      or
  marked as unread

FIRST problem.
When a specific view is selected, SeaMonkey defaults to expanding the view in the "Thread" pane. As the purpose of the second tag is _long-term_ interest I have to scroll a long way to see today's posts.
Is there any way to collapse *ALL* threads?
[Collapsing individually is inconvenient.]

SECOND problem.
When searching a directory for key words in subject line [with perhaps a date boundary], I'll get a dozen or more hits that have to tagged individually.
I would like to tag or mark as un-read all the hits the search has found.

The un_satisfactory option SeaMonkey provides of creating a "saved search" for later display is inconvenient.

Comments?
TIA