On 08/20/2020 10:35 AM, mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
SeaMonkey can already perform the required tasks.
But it clashes with desired workflow.

I make extensive use of custom tags <about 2 dozen defined>.
The two most used tags are for:
   1. color coding the subject line of messages I wrote.
   2. a general tag for things I find to be of long-term interest.
Under "View:" my standard is to display all subject lines:
   associated with the second tag above
       or
   marked as unread

FIRST problem.
When a specific view is selected, SeaMonkey defaults to expanding the view in the "Thread" pane. As the purpose of the second tag is _long-term_ interest I have to scroll a long way to see today's posts.
Is there any way to collapse *ALL* threads?
[Collapsing individually is inconvenient.]

View > Threads > Collapse All Threads, or backslash (\) on the keyboard.

Using "backslash (\) on the keyboard" will be as close to perfect a solution as humanly possible. I'll just have to retrain myself ;/

SECOND problem.
When searching a directory for key words in subject line [with perhaps a date boundary], I'll get a dozen or more hits that have to tagged individually.
I would like to tag or mark as un-read all the hits the search has found.

Ctrl+A selects all messages,

Understood.

or you can hold Ctrl to select multiple specific messages

I use that routinely in anothewr context.

or Shift to select a range of messages.

I do not understand that phrase.
*HOWEVER*, the two preceding options seem to cover ALL my needs.

Then the shortcuts to toggle read/unread (M) or tags (1, 2, 3, etc.)
affect all selected messages.

I think I understand using "M" to toggle read/unread.

This works from within the thread pane (e.g. if filtered using the search bar), in which case the menus can also be used, and also from the advanced search dialog, although the menus aren't available there so you need to know the relevant keyboard shortcuts.  You can use the menus from the main window to work out what the shortcuts are, e.g. Message > Tag to see which number corresponds to which tag.  I'm not sure whether you get shortcuts for tags beyond the first 9, so you might need to order them so that your frequently used tags come within the first 9 to ensure there are shortcuts for them.

That paragraph [PLUS toggling tags] I do *NOT* GROK.
What should I have read that I do not recall ever having seen ;/

I've been acound since Communicator days <grin>

The un_satisfactory option SeaMonkey provides of creating a "saved search" for later display is inconvenient.