Bob wrote:

> I am being forced to abandon Firefox, which I've been using for around 15
> years now (and really liked, until the later iterations).  I work from home,
> and absolutely CANNOT have software automatically install updates and force
> me to shut down (without being able to access another website to alert
> people).  I've tried all of the tricks I could find to prevent automatic
> installation of updates, but nothing has worked, and I do NOT want to loose
> my job because of the programmers refusing to listen to reason.

If you download firefox as a tar and put it in /usr/local, you can then
change the owner of that folder to something different from the user you
normally use with firefox. So for example set up a user called firefox
and then:

chown -R firefox:users /usr/local/firefox

This prevents firefox from updating itself when you are not logged in as
firefox.

You need to link the executable into /usr/local/bin

ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox