Ian Clarke ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> What did you need to do to get Freenet working with Kaffe?  Someone
> should write a HOWTO in the public section of the website.

Once Kaffe 1.0.7 was installed, I did nothing special to make Freenet
use it.  ("Special" may be relative to user skill, of course.  Note
that I'm Cc'ing support@ on these because I do think that a wider
audience is justified.)

> "Pending moderation" probably means that you need to be subscribed to
> the mailing list to send a message to it.  I don't know about the Kaffe
> mailing list maintainers, but if I didn't ignore it when that happened,
> I would spend all of my time approving/disapproving emails to the
> mailing lists.

According to their web-based mail archive, it went through.

Anyway, here's exactly what I did:

0) This is an i386 OpenBSD 3.1 box.
1) Downloaded kaffe-1.0.7.tar.gz from www.kaffe.org, and extracted it:
    gzip -dc kaffe-1.0.7.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    cd kaffe-1.0.7
2) ./configure; make
3) The make failed because of an ld error, shown earlier in this thread.
4) Went to the directory where the failure occurred, and ran this command:
     cd kaffe/kaffevm/.libs
     ln -s libkaffevm-1.0.7.so libkaffevm.so.1.0
     cd -
5) Typed "make" again in the top-level directory.  It worked.
6) make install
7) Adjusted /usr/local/bin/java and javac symlinks to point to Kaffe:
     cd /usr/local/bin
     mv java java.old
     mv javac javac.old
     ln -s ../kaffe/bin/java java
     ln -s ../kaffe/bin/javac javac
8) Went to /usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/i386 and added the symlink:
     cd /usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/i386
     ln -s libkaffevm-1.0.7.so libkaffevm.so.1.0

That's it.  My freenet node's run script just calls "java", so it
finds the symlinks in /usr/local/bin.

Feel free to use this information however you wish.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |