>Ephrim Khong ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>> I am trying to use freenet behind a Firewall, using a SOCKS5 Proxy
>> server.
>
> How, exactly?  Freenet requires the ability to receive incoming
> connections on at least one TCP port.  If you have a way to achieve
> that using SOCKS5 we'd love to hear about it, and add it to the FAQ.

 Are you sure that it's technically required to be able to accept
incoming connections? I am quite sure that my computer is not able to do
so. I only have a LAN-IP, and the only way to contact the web is through
a HTTP/FTP/SOCKS Proxy server.

 I am using SocksCap (http://www.socks.nec.com/reference/sockscap.html)
to acess the SOCKS-Proxy. I know that freenet works, since I can download
websites.

 I had some some 15 connections after browsing through some sites, when
suddenly one connection after the other closed down until none was left.
My traffic monitor didn't indicate any traffic, and I (think I) know that
the SOCKS proxy closes connections that were idle for some time.

>> It works, but the Proxy is closing any ideling TCP-Connection, if
>> there was no data send through it for some time.
>
> ????
>
> Is this a transient node or something?  How can your node be that idle?
> Most of us who run nodes get slammed pretty consistently by traffic,
> although there are a few exceptional cases where nodes get very light
> traffic (and nobody knows why).

 The node is set to transient, yes.

eph