> this was my orginal plan, and i was posting to find out if anyone knew
> how to enable a compressed directory in win2k :)  but now i think i'll
> probably go with a separate 2 gig fat32 partition... that is if i can
> figure out how to tweak a fat32 to have smaller blocks.

To specify cluster size for a fat32 partition use
format x: /FS:FAT32 /A:clustersize
where x: is the driveletter.
Naturally, the clustersize applies to the entire partition.

To compress a directory tree in win2k you *must* either use an NTFS
partition or use compression software such as DriveSpace, zipmagic, etc.
that is compatible with FAT32.

Just noticed, on the help for the format command, there is a /C option which
states "Files created on the new volume will be compressed by default" - I
guess this only applies to NTFS but it might be worth giving it a go on a
FAT32 drive to see what happens!