Matthew Toseland ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> BUT this will then count under the bandwidth limiter, i.e. be very very
> slow.

I don't use the bandwidth limiters. ;-)

> Do we want to count certain IP ranges as local and not limit them,
> or do we want to never limit mainport connections, or what? Which is the
> best solution?

My thought is that anything talking to mainport (or nodestatus)
should never be limited artificially.  This may break down in the
pathological case where people use allowedHosts=* (e.g. for a
public Freenet gateway).  But I think *most* people are only going
to allow LAN and loopback connections to mainport.

I'd urge people who are serious about bandwidth shaping to look into
their operating system's capabilities instead of relying on the
applications to do the right thing.  The OS is usually far more
reliable in this area.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |