Jeffrey Regier ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I've installed Freenet on Linux, and am able to open the web interface
> (http://localhost:8888/servlet/nodeinfo/). However, I can't connect to
> the "Freedom Engine" (which is where file searching takes place,
> right?). Additionally, I don't know what files of mine I'm sharing or if
> other users are able to store their content on my computer. Help would
> be very appreciated.

OK, at some point I need to sit down and rewrite HUGE sections of the
Wiki FAQ.  People are coming into Freenet with some preconceived notions
that are simply not in line with reality.

Freenet is NOT a peer-to-peer file sharing application.

Freenet does not work like Gnutella.

You do not search for files in Freenet.

You do not share whole directories full of files in Freenet.  You must
explicitly publish (insert) each file you wish to share.

In particular, you DO NOT tell Freenet to create its data store in an
existing directory full of files!  It will delete them.  (This will
be "fixed" soon.  Nobody anticipated that people would actually do this!)

When you do insert a file, it has a KEY which is generally not going
to be human-readable.  (Unless you use KSK keys, but those are not
secure.)

The only way to retrieve that file is to know its key.  Therefore the
person who inserts a file has to advertise its key somehow.

The Wiki FAQ is at <http://freenet.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?FAQ>.
This is not on freenetproject.org.  This is not LINKED from
freenetproject.org.  None of the documentation on freenetproject.org is
up to date.  None of the information on freenetproject.org is useful
to new users.  The Wiki FAQ isn't fully accurate or up to date either,
but it's closer.

(I apologize if this seems condescending.  I'm writing it not only for
you but for all the other people who seem to be laboring under false
assumptions.)

Now, on to your specific issues:

If you can't connect to TFE, you should get an error message --
usually either "Route Not Found" or "Data Not Found".  We also need
to know whether the error occurs immediately, or after a wait of
several seconds/minutes.

If your request is bombing with RNF immediately after clicking the link,
you have a bad build of Freenet -- update it.

If your request is failing consistently with RNF, but it takes a while
to do so, then your node's trying to contact other nodes but isn't
having much luck.  You might need to try someone else's seednodes.ref
file, or check your node configuration firewall settings.  Also visit
the Node Reference Status Page (web interface http://127.0.0.1:8888/ ->
Node Status Interface -> Node Reference Status).  If you don't have
a Node Status Interface link, then you're running Freenet 0.5 (not
0.5.0.x) and you should update.

If your request is failing consistently with DNF, then either the whole
Freenet network is unhealthy (which has been the case this week, with
all the new nodes coming online), or the key you're looking for simply
isn't available.  Try a higher HTL or try another key or try again later.

Also, whenever you make a support request, please give as much
detail as possible about your environment: the exact version of your
operating system, the exact version of your Java virtual machine, which
Freenet build you're running, etc.  In some cases it may also be helpful
to include parts of your freenet.ini (or freenet.conf) file, or your
freenet.log file.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |