So, you are able to connect to your localhost:8888 or something like
that and get the status web pages, right?

On the main page, you should notice three links, one of which is the
"freedom engine".  This effectively is the freenet portal.  Freenet
itself is like the web was in the Early '90s.  No search engines.
Everything is linked pages from there on in.