Phillip Hutchings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One thing that I can think of is limiting the size of incoming files
> not requested by the node directly - stop splitfiles and things going
> through. I'm more interested in the information, not movies, but I
> can't think of a tidy way to implement this in a few minutes. I know
> it's not really in line with the freenet ideal, and also it could
> compromise privacy, but it's a thought.

So you not only don't want to store large files in your data store -
you don't want to relay them either? It should be easy enough to stop such
files being stored in your data store - according to freenet.ini it doesn't
store files larger than 1/100th of the size of your datastore, in your
datastore. That 1/100 calculation would be easy to find and tweak so you don't
store files of 1 Mb (and these days all the large files I see are in chunks of
1,026 Kb). The question is whether you can identify whether incoming data is
part of an incoming 1 Mb message bfore you accept it. My guess, only a guess,
is yes.

I would think that "information" as opposed to files would normally be under 1
Mb.

For my part I'd like to contribute as much bandwidth to Freenet as a whole, but
when in a capped triage situation I certainly understand wanting to prioritise
traffic.