David Masover wrote:

so. If they're curious, then they'll ask about it. But if someone is
asking for an answer to a very specific question, then turning it into

If someone asks "Does anyone know how to make crispy bagels in the microwave" and I suggest using a toaster instead for that particular task, then I'm not directly answering their question, but I may be helping them more than someone who says "Sure, you just use a blowtorch on them afterwards" or something.

That's a bit of an extreme analogy -- I admit Windows isn't quite as bad
as toasting bagels in the microwave. Not quite.

Yes that's an extreme analogy, and not the most accurate one. What would be more appropriate for the current circumstances would be someone saying that they have an electric range, and want a good recipe for making beef stew. And you telling them that electric is no good, that before they do anything else they need to rip out their stove and install a gas one. Oh and beef isn't good for them anyway so here's this really tasty tofu recipe.

The poster asked a rather simple and direct question, which was then turned into a soap-box for the perils of running Freenet on a Windows based system. Now if that person hasn't decided that this whole Freenet thing is way too complicated and that she wants no part of it, I'd be surprised.