>    Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape and  Internet Explorer. I also tried Windows
> Media Player as an experiment and it happened with that program also. I
> never allow MP  to connect to the internet...I only use it when I am not
> online. I use Zone alarm as a software firewall and I allow it to "show"
> blocked sites every so often as a " check" to see what is trying to access
> my pc. This time I kept getting the destination ip 127.0.0.1: port XXXX
> application: firefox.exe for example.
>  Does this answer your question?

I think so - so ZoneAlarm is reporting that all of these applications are
trying to access port XXXX on 127.0.0.1

What is XXXX by the way?

It is almost always perfectly safe for software to connect to ports on ip
127.0.0.1.   A lot of software services are listening on specific ports
and one way for applications running on the same computer to communicate
with each other is to create connections to 127.0.0.1:SOME PORT

Perhaps you changed your Zone Alarm settings when you installed Freenet,
and now it is simply reporting more connections than it used to?  I think
the default settings for Zone Alarm do not bother reporting connections to
127.0.0.1 as that simply means applications on your PC are communicating
with each other, and it's usually perfectly safe.