On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 10:27:31AM -0400, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
> Anyway the freenet-related stuff at the bottom looks interesting. I
> think the reputation stuff may be quite generalizable for a lot of
> other stuff. There's occasionally talk of how to influence unwanted
> stuff into expiring from the freenet here -- reputation management
> that blacklists keys (and bad blacklisters) in principle lets one
> stop their machine ever retrieving keys that
> are on a blacklist for something they don't want to make spread
> through
> freenet, e.g. child pornography. A popular blacklist could indeed
> depress the spread of a blacklisted file, perhaps to the point it
> can't be found in any data store but that of the one loser who keeps
> reinserting the thing.

The fundamental problem with blacklists/whitelists is that if nodes only
pass on keys supported by a given whitelist, or by any of a given set of
whitelists, etc, then node operators will become legally liable for
their choice of whitelist. If their whitelist includes any "interesting"
content e.g. the diebold or Co$ files, then they will be prosecuted.