Quoting Kevin Steen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> 2) Whenever you startup a freenet node, it will take some time to learn
> the network again. For the first hour you will probably only be able to
> access very popular content. For this reason, Freenet isn't very useful
> to modem users at the moment, but the problems are being worked on!

This isn't true.  For one thing, there've been people on this list who use
dial-up, and claim that it works just fine.  For another thing, the node
doesn't have to re-learn the network every time it starts.  There may be a
minor, two or three minute, delay in functioning, but not the hours that
learning takes.

Logically, re-learning is only necessary when the actual state of the network is
different than the what's in the nodes routing table.  Most of the nodes that
are going to be in a node's routing table are the ones that are useful.  The
ones that are useful are the larger, more permanent nodes run by broadband
users with some dedication to the project, yes?  Those nodes don't change that
often.  My node runs pretty close to 24/7.

I doubt the problem above is due (directly) to the node being on a modem line.
As long as the node is given a few hours to run once in a while it should be
fine.  Never as good as a broadband node, but not useless.  As Robert wrote,
the node worked fine before.

-todd