Okay, here's the deal at present:

If you don't port forward, bidi connections means that you may still be
able to become a useful member of the network by serving requests for
nodes that you opened connections to. However, you may not, in practice,
as Newsbyte's node is an example of (have you tried reseeding, Newsbyte?
Could you perhaps reinstall, then send me the routing table and open
connections pages twice daily for a few days? Probably the Environment
page would help too).

If you DO port forward, then your node's IP address will be detected
automatically and everything should just work.

Automatic port forwarding is possible for some routers via UP&P but has
not yet been implemented.