On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:40:10PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> OK, so I tried Freenet... or rather, I'm trying to try it.
>
> It's running for about 36 hours now, with pauses because I have to go offline
> every 12 hours. (is that a problem?)

Not if it's a brief offline.

> A Freenet site takes now from 5 to 20 minutes to load, if it loads at all.

How many open connections? Also are you firewalled?

> After much trying, I downloaded Frost, but the interesting part of the manual
> just won't load, not even through the gateway.
> I think I got it running correctly, but it doesn't show even one message
> anywhere, aside from the one I posted myself. Lots of "not found or wrong
> size"
> in the DOS box...

You don't need the manual, just leave Frost running for a few hours or
days and it'll get lots of messages; the UI isn't hard to pick up.

> All in all, I have to say Freenet is a very frustrating experience to a
> newbie.
> Is it always this slow, did I do something wrong, or have I picked a bad day?

Unfortunately, freenet's architecture is not able to instantly provide
the level of performance that a mature node will eventually attain,
because of the node learning about the network and vice versa. This
has advantages in that it discourages leaching, but it means that new
nodes are usually a bit slow.. we have tried to improve on this and will
probably make further efforts in future.