Toad> "Please find me an internet standard that mentions an MTU of 576
bytes"

RFC879>      HOSTS MUST NOT SEND DATAGRAMS LARGER THAN 576 OCTETS UNLESS
THEY
RFC879>      HAVE SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE THAT THE DESTINATION HOST IS
PREPARED TO
RFC879>      ACCEPT LARGER DATAGRAMS.
RFC879>
RFC879>         This is a long established rule.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0879.txt?number=879

I agree, the best MTU is the largest possible without fragmentation,
which depends on your ISP and all other routers between yourself and the
other host. For example, between my PC at work and www.mit.edu it is
1500.

My answer to your original email was saying that a lot of dialup ISPs
have a max MTU of 576 and maybe some DSL connections as well.

Anyway, here is some interesting info about finding your personal max
MTU:
http://www.internetweekly.org/llarrow/mtumss.html
http://members.tripod.com/~EasyMTU/easymtu/findmtu.html

and some related tweaking info about Receive Window size for the curious
among you.
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/RWIN

Ben