Duana Stanley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

--snip--
> Thanks this was really helpful.. I didn't realise that the config file was
> setting it up not to use NPTL.  Which brings me to the next question
> - are there still problems with using NPTL?  Even with the latest Sun JVM?
>
> Duana.

Sorry, I don't know. Bear in mind however that some other "canon" pieces of
advice in start-freenet.sh, such as "don't add the -server JVM flag because it
breaks things", are contradicted by the experiences of other users (myself
included in that case.) There is a certain amount of trial and error involved in
getting freenet configured optimally :)

I *think* that the NPTL avoidance is there due to the really buggy
implementation in RH 9 / FC 1.
(http://linux-sxs.org/programming/ibm-java.html#APPENDIX_A). If you are using a
newer one e.g. Enterprise WS 4 then I would be suprised if it's still broken.

I also found this :
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=23464
which says that "true" threads as opposed to a bunch of IPC processes didn't
exist till 2.6, and apparently this affects how the ps output looks, but it
isn't clear whether 2.6 "fixes" it or not. All I can say is that my (dead)
Debian box was 2.4.x and freenet showed as loads of pids on there.

Bob