daniele wrote:
Well, maybe I'm too much mswin-like in my approach to app installation...
I downloaded Java 1.5 for linux from Java.com and executed it!!!
At the end, I had java installed... magic?

I didn't ever know there were a contrib package of java... didn't ever searched it.

And I'm probably paranoid and nitpicky.

I don't ever let programs use their own installer, because you can never reliably uninstall them again. Then you get bits of old files left on your system that get in the way of new things you're trying to install. For example, it dumps an executable called "java" somewhere. Then you install another program that wants Kaffee, so it automatically installs that. But then when it tries to run Kaffee "java" it ends up running the leftover Sun version instead of the Kaffee version. Or it runs the Kaffee executable with Sun's configuration files. Sorting the mess out is painful - and this kind of thing has happened to me a *lot* over the years :-(

It's a particular problem for Linux because programs tend to spread themselves all over the system when they install, instead of just sticking themselves in a single directory. Also Linux software doesn't come with its own uninstaller like Windows software - you have to rely on the OS. And the OS won't uninstall something unless it installed it in the first place.

So yeah, the Sun installer is the easiest way to go. But my recommendation to a new Debian user would be to avoid future pain by sticking to the Debian-approved way of doing things whenever possible.