Ok thanks, that definitely got things farther along.  Now I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/freenet$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/freenet$ ./update.sh
Updating freenet
Fetching freenet-cvs-snapshot.jar
Attempt 1
Attempt 2
Downloaded freenet-cvs-snapshot.jar
Fetching freenet-ext.jar
Downloaded freenet-ext.jar
freenet-cvs-snapshot.jar freenet-cvs-snapshot.jar.old differ: byte 11, line 2
Restarting node because freenet-cvs-snapshot.jar or freenet-ext.jar updated.
Stopping Freenet 0.7...
Removed stale pid file: /home/user/freenet/./Freenet.pid
Freenet 0.7 was not running.
Starting Freenet 0.7...
Files update.sh and update2.sh differ
./update.sh: line 121: syntax error near unexpected token `then'
./update.sh: line 121: `then'
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/freenet$

On 7/8/06, Tracy R Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
chris mcbrien wrote:
> I'm trying to update and I get this on my screen:
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/freenet$ ./update.sh
> Updating freenet
> Fetching freenet-cvs-snapshot.jar
> java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
> Attempt 1

Is the Sun JVM on your path ahead of the GNU free jvm or whatever it is
called? This is the exact error I get when I forget to set my path so
that Sun's JVM comes first. One of the many reasons to dislike java: It
is fractured more than most other languages such that confusing errors
like this happen.

--
Tracy R Reed
http://ultraviolet.org