Fair enough. Running a node involves trusting people. Running an opennet
node involves trusting total strangers. We can improve on our security
against treachery to a degree, so that you don't have to trust your
peers quite as much, but the more powerful techniques for improving
security, such as premix routing, are difficult (and so won't be
implemented until 0.8), and rely on the darknet topology to ensure that
they aren't compromized by an attacker impersonating multiple nodes.

BTW this whole conversation has been moved to the chat list.