On Sunday 03 August 2008 03:34, Hierophant wrote:
> [...]

eGold mess? Not aware of that one...

> The anonymity of my payments to XeroBank via Dalpay is vulnerable to attacks
on either and/or their relationship.  Although I do trust Dalpay based on
what I've read about their mission
<http://www.dalpay.com/pages/privacy.html>, they are in Iceland, and so are
relatively vulnerable to governmental pressure.  OTOH, Iceland did grant
asylum to Bobby Fischer [;-)

> But even if my anonymity at Dalpay is compromised, that yields only my
XeroBank payment account number.  According to XeroBank, that doesn't reveal
my XeroBank access account number (and vice versa).  Of course, I'm pretty
sure that XeroBank could correlate the two accounts, especially if I paid
Dalpay via XeroBank's VPN (which I don't).

> So, if Dalpay betrays me, I'm left trusting XeroBank.  It's problematic that
we have no clue who's behind XeroBank.  That's part of XeroBank's
security/privacy model.  Basically, I've decided to trust Steve Topletz, and
to trust that he wouldn't be part of XeroBank if it were evil, or clueless
and vulnerable.

> I trust Steve based on what I've read by and about him.  He has an
apparently-impeccable reputation re cDc, Hacktivismo, Tor and so on.  Given
his long association with security experts and privacy advocates, it's
arguable that he would have been outed long ago if he were working with the
FBI, NSA, KGB or whatever. Although Tor started as a US Naval Research
Laboratory project, it's totally open source now, and so any back doors would
arguably have been discovered.  Perhaps one could hide code in other code via
encryption and steganography, but that seems unlikely.

Yeah, government/corporate involvement in such things can often be
entertaining and surprising. :)