On Friday 24 October 2008 00:58, Luke771 wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:18:40 -0400
> "fred simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > a) Can you be traced by your ID if someone gets your IP while you are
> > in low or normal stranger mode?
>
> If you mean whether your Frost or FMS identity can be linked to your real
life ID, the answer is no. More exactly, not unless you do something stupid
or you decide to let your ID be traceable.

> Using the insecure mode (aka Opennet) it is very easy to determine the you
('you' as in real life identity) are running Freenet, but there is no way to
link your real life identity to your Frost or FMS identity, or determine
that 'real-life you' has authored one particular freesite.
> In other words, as long as there arent any laws that make anonymous
networking illegal in your country of residence, you should be fine even with
insecure mode: they can tell that you run Freenet but they can't tell what
you do with it.

> In theory, it is possible for a peer to figure out what files you 'probably'
download using a correlation attack, which is another strong point in favor
of darknet: only connect to peers that you trust not to try and eavesdrop
your requests. In practice though, an attack of that kind doesn't give
certainity but only a fair probability. In court, that would mean that your
fate depends on how good your lawyer is, and another bunch of human factors.

Well ... hopefully. Correlation attacks can likely be pretty damning if you're
connected to the target. Of course you need to find them first, and if you've
managed to trace them, why not just bust down their door and seize their
computer? Tracing content is much easier on insecure mode/opennet/medium-low
network security/strangers connections than on a pure darknet. The basic
attack is to identify a stream of traffic known to belong to a target
identity, use the requests to get a rough idea of the location of the
originator, and gradually get closer to him/her. This is obviously much
easier on opennet because getting connections closer to a given location is
much easier on opennet. We have some ideas for how to make both of these
attacks much harder (there are always attacks on any practical system,
including Tor; it's a question of cost). But we haven't implemented them yet.

> > c) Has anyone ever been arrested for the content they accessed using
> > Freenet?
>
> Not that I'm aware of. Not in the West. It is possible that it has happened
and I don't know about it.
> If authorities suspect you to possess illegal files and seize your computer,
you're pretty much screwed. You may have a chance if you have taken
precautions that have nothing to do with Freenet (it's mostly about file
storage).

A Dutch magazine did a sting on a small paedophile network on Freenet iirc,
using the tried and trusted tools of social engineering (i.e. relying on
users being stupid, which usually works even with criminals). We asked for a
copy and never got it.