Brian Mearns wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 6:54 AM, SmallSister development
> <smallsis...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Brian Mearns wrote:
>>> I understand the basic architecture of Freenet and how it protects
>>> contributors, but I'm concerned that the files themselves might
>>> contain identifying information about the source of the file. In
>>> particular, for audio files such as MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and Flac. Does
>>> anyone have any information on making sure there are no
>>> "fingerprints" left on these files when posting?
>> There is no way to be certain. There could be a future algorithm piecing
>> together just enough bits from a file to identify you. Word frequency
>> analysis has been used to discern likely writers of a plain text file.
>> Yes, you can avoid stupid mistakes by checking for "known signatures"
>> and removing them, but that is something that would be different for
>> different file types (ogg would be somewhat different from mp3; but doc
>> and pdf require totally different approaches.) It would be useful to
>> have tools that can identify and remove watermarks and Freenet would be
>> a great place to publish them (with source code please!)
>>
>> Peter.
>>

> Bugger, I didn't even think of steganographic watermarks (shame on
> me), I was thinking more in terms of meta data known to be stored with
> various file formats (like ID3 tags), but this seems to be more
> complicated than I expected. Thanks for the insight.
>
> -Brian

For audio and video the best approach could be to take the streams and remux
them into the same container type, then to copy only the metadata which the user
knows about (for example some audio files have autogain settings, etc).

You would still have a potential for watermarking, as Peter already pointed out,
and these watermarks will become more and more common as Internet Music Shop
software develops (this is not to assume that internet shops is the only source
of watermarked audio, other groups can watermark a file, this is most dangerous
in countries where freenet is illegal(*)).

                  - Volodya

(*) An agent of the state can insert a completely legal file that one believes
would be downloaded and not hidden by average freenet user, let's say it is a
public domain humorous poem. Even those users who are completely paranoid and
run Freenet on a hidden encrypted partition may let their guard down and copy
said file outside of encrypted partition, or post it on their blog. This,
however, can be used to identify them as Freenet users, if the version of the
file distributed on Freenet has been watermarked.

- --
http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://www.freedomporn.org/    Freedom Porn, anarchist and activist smut

 "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin