On Thursday 24 September 2009 17.29.19 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 September 2009 09:14:07 Francois LARROUX wrote:
> > i tried many times different installer (java "online" and the exe
> > version) at different days but it still not starting
>
> The Java version will not work on Vista. Please uninstall any node versions
> installed using this.
>
> What operating system are you using?
>
> > there is a "start script error"
> >
> > I found this on the java installer
> > NET HELPMSG 2186
> > I ask it to google god but there is nothing
> >
> > I used to use freenet a few months ago and it stopped and it was
> > impossible to reinstall it as I said
> >
> > It will be so nice to put some good faqs on your websites to avoid
> > searching (for nothing)a long time on users/programmers forums.
>
> It is likely that this is related to the windows installer problems with
> creating a new user (for security), which some OSs and anti-viruses don't
> like.
>
> I suggest you use the beta installer, which doesn't do this. Make sure you
> have uninstalled all versions of Freenet first.
>
> http://privat.zero3.dk/FreenetInstaller_Beta.exe
>
> This will install a relatively old version of Freenet, but give it an hour
> or so and it should auto-update itself to the current version (1236).
>
> > I hope you will be able to help me
>
> Please let us know if the above doesn't work...
>
> > I really like you do for our freedom
> > Keep strong!
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > François

I suggest you to install ubunutu linux - it can be installed parallel to
windows and it cost no money, and it has worked very well for me the last
couple of years - I have made some install minihowtos on www.minihowto.org, I
made them last year but the development of the Internet runs very fast, so
some of my howtos are already a bit "old" - but they might give you an idea
anyway *smile*