On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Daniel Stork <stork...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having major problems with freenet on Windows, I have 60 downloads of
> which 60 have been stuck at 100% for days.
> Running freenet makes Windows completely unresponsive.
> It takes literally 10 minutes for frost to start up.
> This happened in the past. I deleted node.db4o and the permanent downloads
> folder and this fixed it for a while,
> But it goes back to the same state in a few days.
> Right now my node.db4o is 230 Mb and I don't want to lost the 60 downloads
> (almost 10 gigs total) which are complete.
> The CPU usage is 50-80% on a very strong pc.
>
> My questions are the following:
>
> 1. Could the unresponsiveness be a memory issue with Java ? I have 4 gigs
> butĀ  freenet and frost use only 160 and 210 megabytes. Is java puttingĀ  a
> limit on these somehow?
> What's the proper way to allocate memory to freenet and frost ?

Freenet has a configuration option.  You can set it from configuration
-> core settings -> max memory.

For frost, run it with "java -Xmx256M -jar frost.jar" (or whatever
setting you prefer) instead of the normal "java -jar frost.jar".

It's possible your issue is Freenet memory; I'm not certain.  Please
let me know if increasing memory available helps.

> 2. Does setting priority in task manager have any effect ? I noticed they
> are on "below normal" and cannot be changed.

I'm not certain.  Freenet normally runs most of its threads at very
low priority, and a couple at higher priority.  Reducing the priority
too far on some OSes can mean the high priority threads get starved
for CPU, causing timeouts and restarts and such.  I'm not sure if this
happens on windows.

> 3. Is there a way to save these completed downloads that freenet is not
> finishing (i.e. command line utility)?

Just the normal download process.  Reducing the size of your queue
will fix the problem, and increasing the memory available may help.

> Also another issue I noticed:
>
> - When I select "Download the file in the background and store in
> R:\Freenet\downloads" or "Fetch the file in the background" from the freenet
> UI,
> it doesn't do anything. Are these supposed to work?

They should add the file to your download queue; they work fine here.
What does happen?  What error message are you getting?

Evan Daniel