On Saturday 29 January 2011 18:25:48 Dennis Nezic wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 01:54:47 +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > Build 1339 is out. Please upgrade asap, it will be mandatory on
> > Monday. The main change in this build is that backoff is now separate
> > for realtime versus bulk requests. This means, hopefully, that if the
> > performance problems recently have been caused by realtime requests
> > causing lots of backoff, this will only affect realtime requests. It
> > is investigating a theory, one of several, regarding the recent
> > problems.
> >
> > I am sorry that the network has behaved so badly recently, I am
> > working on it, but it is not easy.
> >
> > Please upgrade, and please report any and all problems you find.
> > There is a thread on FMS where I am trying to get a better
> > understanding of what problems people are seeing. So far the main
> > reported issues seem to be:
> > - Realtime requests (e.g. fproxy) are slow, and cause all or most
> > peers to get backed off.
> > - Downloads are very slow.
> > - Bootstrapping onto the network is slow.
>
> I'm getting lots and lots of Timeouts and Overloads in my
> stranger-status details, although not too many BackOffs. After over an
> hour of uptime, my bandwidth usage hasn't really stabilized. Even the
> upload speeds, which used to be quite stable around my 15KB/s limit,
> are very bumpy, quite often near 2KB/s. Same with my download speeds.
> (Although, at least they aren't flooding :p.)

This is different to 1338? I don't know what is normal for your node, you have
a rather odd setup.

Testing so far suggests once it settles fproxy performs almost acceptable,
dunno about bulk downloads.

> In general, whenever I look at my strangers, most of them will be:
> FatalTimeout/SENDER_DIED
> FatalTimeout/TransferFailedInsert
> FatalTimeout/AfterInsertAcceptedTimeout
> FatalTimeout/ForwardRejectedOverload2

See that here too, but mostly for realtime. You doing lots of uploads? I see
more TransferFailedRequest.

> I've seen a bunch of InsertTimeoutNoFinalAck, TransferFailedRequest
> (5,13).
>
> Is this abnormal, or normal congenstion control?

This is a different layer and it's not normal but it's pretty common.

> I also see that the ping times to my strangers are very high, 300ms-1000
> +ms, even though I can ping google under 20ms. I don't know if this is
> abnormal, or perhaps all my peers are on the other side of the planet,
> or perhaps the value is calculated differently.

This is common. UDP and ICMP are routed differently, and there are significant
delays imposed by Freenet for bandwidth efficiency reasons.

> Also, perhaps unrelated, why was I being connected to 11 peers, with a
> 15KB/s connection? Isn't that too high? Although, even after I halved
> this, nothing much changed.

There is a minimum. IIRC it is 10 peers. Beyond that it's a square-root
relationship because each peer brings more traffic incoming as well as outgoing.