On Thursday 10 Feb 2011 12:42:25 Volodya wrote:
> On 02/10/2011 01:19 PM, Thomas Anderson wrote:
> > I am very new to freenet. I read wiki[1] and some doc saying that
> > freenet implements dht protocol.
> >
> > I am going to learn something about dht based on freenet, so I have a
> > few questions.
> >
> > 1st, is it possible for a node (supposed it is located in a data
> > center) querying to know if other nodes contain a specific data/ doc
> > (maybe search by e.g. file name)? So the node who issues the query
> > can, for instance, do a simple counting, such as how many nodes
> > currently holds the filename called license.txt.
> >
> > 2nd, what would the right place (in source code) to start checking the
> > dht related stuff? I check out the source code but do not find dht
> > related comment or function. Also, freenet wiki search returns `no
> > matches for dht'.
> >
> > I appreciate any advice.
> > Thank you.
> >

> > [1]. Wikipedia.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table#DHT_protocols_and_implementations
>
> That's not how Freenet works. Everything that is inserted in the global
> datastore is first encrypted and error correction is added, it also splits
> everything into 32K pieces each of which is inserted separately.
>
> Therefore it is impossible to search Freenet proper for DHT hash of the
> specific
> file. Because you only have pieces which are encrypted, and you don't know
> what
> they mean until you have enough of them and you have also the decryption key.
>
> Now if you do possess the decryption key, you could, on the Opennet, start
> connecting to people's nodes one at the time and send them requests for pieces
> that you know comprise that file.
>
> There's much more, maybe others will help you also.

Right. Freenet is DHT-like but it's not a classic DHT. It's sort of vaguely a
heuristic DHT. :) It also distributes files for swarming and redundancy, as
VolodyA explained, and no, it doesn't provide a definitive "this key must be on
this node" (although there are nodes where it should be stored), nor does it
provide a probing operation that doesn't transfer the key.